RES Chosen to Spearhead Holston River Park Streambank Stabilization Project Funded by Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation
December 08, 2023
Knox County, TN – RES, a leading nature-based solutions provider, is honored to announce its selection to lead the design of streambank stabilization measures along a significant stretch of the Holston River Park. This project, comprising 2,135 feet of streambank, is paramount to safeguard the park’s infrastructure and natural amenities while combatting ongoing erosion issues along the riverbank. The endeavor has secured funding through a generous grant from the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation (TDEC) as part of the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) initiative.
“The Holston River Park Streambank Stabilization Project represents a vital step towards restoring and ensuring the longevity of essential recreational facilities,” said Michael Clark, PE, Client Solutions Manager at RES. “We are proud to take on this challenge, working in partnership with TDEC, and are committed to delivering a nature-based solution that will benefit the community and the Holston River ecosystem for generations to come.”
The Holston River Park Streambank Stabilization Project, spearheaded by RES, is driven by several key objectives:
- Streambank Stabilization: The project’s primary focus is to halt and reverse the erosion threatening the Holston River’s banks. RES will employ advanced erosion control techniques to fortify the riverbank, including vegetation restoration and bioengineering.
- Infrastructure Protection: With the erosion endangering the park’s essential amenities, such as walking trails, picnic areas, and recreational facilities, the project is dedicated to preserving these vital resources.
- Erosion Prevention: Sustainable erosion control measures will be implemented to prevent further riverbank degradation. This effort will significantly enhance the ecological health of the Holston River and its surrounding environment.
To achieve these objectives, RES will undertake a series of critical responsibilities:
- Site Assessment: RES will conduct an in-depth assessment of the riverbank’s current condition, analyzing erosion patterns, sediment transport, and the state of existing infrastructure.
- Design and Engineering: Leveraging our extensive expertise, RES will take the lead in developing detailed, environmentally friendly, and sustainable plans for streambank stabilization. These plans will be closely aligned with TDEC guidelines.
- Permit Submittal and Coordination: RES will manage all aspects of permit preparation and submission to the relevant federal, state, and local agencies. Our commitment is to ensure the project adheres to all regulatory obligations, ensuring smooth and compliant execution.
RES is proud to contribute its expertise to this crucial environmental initiative, which fortifies the Holston River Park’s infrastructure and serves as a sustainable riverbank management model. By mitigating erosion and enhancing the ecological balance, the project aligns perfectly with the goals of the American Rescue Plan Act.